Monday, February 20, 2012

PINK!

PINK!

Tired of not being able to wear more than one alpha layer at a time, I installed Firestorm 3.3.0.24880. Unfortunately, this is what things looked like when I logged in, and I had the same exact problem with the official Second Life viewer 3.2.8. Since everything rezzed just fine when I logged in using the Phoenix 1.6.0.1600 viewer, I had no idea what the problem could be.

At the suggestion of my friend Nigel, I joined the in-world Phoenix/Firestorm support group. When I asked if anyone there was familiar with this problem, several people instantly passed me a notecard titled, "The World is Pink!" Since my card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, I followed the link included in the notecard, updated my video drivers, rebooted my computer, and successfully logged into Firestorm 3.3.0.24880. Yay!

Below is the information from the helpful notecard, in case anyone else encounters the same problem:

The World is Pink! - Rev 2

There is a known issue where people using ATI graphics cards may see everything pink.

This is apparently a new issue inherited from LL code:
jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2908

Please also see: jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-4945 - LL is asking for logs to try to fix this.

If you have a 3000 or 5000 series ATI card we suggest updating your graphics drivers from
support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

If that does not solve the problem you can either disable basic shaders or do the following.

* If you don't have it enabled yet, enable the Advanced menu with Ctrl-Alt-D
* Open the Advanced menu and select "Show Debug Settings".
* It will open a new window; type into it "RenderMaxTextureIndex", it should auto complete it for you.
* Once you have typed it in there should be a description of the option and a text box for the value, set the value to 0.

Note that you may take a performance hit with this method.

No comments: